Broncos gun Gehamat Shibasaki has opened up on his NRL lifeline and how his work outside of rugby league gave him “perspective” to chase his dream.
The 26-year-old previously played for the Broncos, Knights, Cowboys and Rabbitohs between 2018 and 2024, with only a single game coming for Souths last season.
Shibasaki played only six games since the start of the 2021 season, moving back to Brisbane to continue working as a youth support worker and play reserve grade for Wynnum Manly.
Watch your team in the 2025 NRL Telstra Premiership. Stream every round LIVE in 4K, with no ad-breaks during play, on Kayo Sports. New to Kayo? Get your first month for just $1. Limited-time offer.
However, he earned a 12-week train-and-trial with the Broncos, impressing Michael Maguire enough to earn selection in Round 1.
“I’m totally grateful for the path I went through last year. Out of school I went straight into the top squad, and working last year was the first time I’ve ever had a job,” Shibasaki said to the SMH.
“Coming back to training with the boys and then going back to work, I feel like I’m grateful. I’ve put it into perspective that it is hard doing that stuff.
“When you’re not playing footy, you’re going to work every day with three different environments – you’re at home, you go to work, you go to training – it’s pretty chaotic.
“Now I’m back, it’s like I’m a little kid again.”
Shibasaki has reportedly won the battle for the vacant centre spot, with only one position available once Kotoni Staggs returns from a quad injury.
The NRL journeyman will be hoping his performances in 2025 can earn him a full-time contract.
SAIFITI’S FACE OFF
When the Dolphins and Knights kick off Round 2 tonight, it will mark the first time that identical twin brothers Daniel and Jacob Saifiti have ever played against each other.
While Jacob remained at the Knights, Daniel was on the move, signing a three-year deal with the Dolphins until the end of 2027.
They didn’t have to wait long to go head-to-head with the brothers making an opening kick-off “pact” as soon as the 2025 draw was released.
“As soon as the draw came out we sent it to each other straight away. Literally from kindergarten we have always been on the same team,” Daniel told Code Sports.
“We’ve made a pact that we have to run at each other from the first kick-off.
“As soon as I signed we gave each other a couple of scenarios. But we made that pact over a couple of beers.
We’d always try to win against each other. You want to get one over your twin brother.
The Saifiti family will be well-represented at McDonald Jones Stadium on Thursday, with Daniel revealing a half Knights, half Dolphins jersey had been made up for the occasion in what will also be his return to Newcastle.
Daniel was given the tap on the shoulder from the Knights midway through last season that it would be his last at the club.
Abdo cracking down on referee comments | 03:27
MORE NRL NEWS
LATE MAIL: Broncos reveal why Haas left training early; Dolphins star set to return
‘NOT 100%’: Ponga rumour won’t go away … and it could spell ‘disaster’ for Knights
BREAKDOWN: Inside Munster’s masterclass; how Reynolds pulled off the unthinkable
While he was able to find a suitor pretty quickly and admits he’s loving the seachange, Saifiti says it will be “emotional” returning to Newcastle and going up against the team he played 186 NRL games for.
“I have so many of my best mates there. I have good relationships with everyone at the club and I have left on good terms,” he said.
“I have a lot of love the for the club and the town.”
Saifiti enjoyed a strong debut for his new club last weekend.
Despite the Dolphins’ loss to South Sydney, Saifiti led all forwards on the ground with 143 running metres from 17 hit ups.
Watch LIVE coverage of the 2025 Betfred Super League season on Kayo Sports | New to Kayo? Get your first month for just $1. Limited time offer


























Discussion about this post